Thursday, May 15, 2008

Dandelion Garden


Ok, I know everyone talks about dandelion this time of year but I just had to share. Our house is in a neighborhood, but we are lucky enough to have a 10,000 square foot lot. We have a good size approximately 300 square foot garden space that the previous owner grew vegetables in. We knew the previous owners gardened organically, and the soil is excellent!
The neighbor peeked over the fence and said," Wow you have a lot of work ahead of you, your garden is covered in weeds"! To his horror I'm sure, I started explaining how delighted I was to have soooooo many wonderful dandelions, my plans for dandelion wine, using the root for medicine, how we have been using the leaves & flowers for food, et. At first he laughed, but when I continued on and he realized I was serious, he had this blank look on his face, one of shock and surprise I guess. Before I could start talking about the blackberry, mullein, and various other "weeds" and my plans for their use, he interrupted with- "well I better get back to work ummm, nice talking to you"!

3 comments:

Amber Pixie Shehan said...

Yeah...I hear ya! My yard makes the neighbors shudder...dancing over the dandelions, nummy wood sorrel, my overwhelming joy at the chickweed...

*laughs*

It's nice to see I'm not the only nut! ;)

Yarrow said...

LOL How wonderful for you!

Anonymous said...

I totally know what you mean! I think people are starting to think I'm nuts with all my talk about making nettle tea, dandelion tea & putting garlic poultices on my daughter when she's sick! :)