Friday, July 20, 2007

Skunk Cabbage Lysichiton Americanum Legend


Time is short today, I will add more to this post at another time. This story really stuck with me and I wanted to share it. This is part of an continuing series of posts about folklore see Hazel

Native American Legend

In the days before there were any salmon, the Native Americans had only plants to eat including skunk cabbage root (very hot and peppery). The skunk cabbage decided to help the people and caused the first salmon run to occure. As a reward the skunk cabbage was given an elk skin blanket and a war club which he has kept to this day.

Photo by Pam Archer

1 comment:

Greenwoman said...

Hello Angie! So nice of you to stop by my blog and leave a sweet hello. I only just got home after a hiatus from blogging to attend a ceremony. I really like your blog and I'll be back to read again. Blessings!!!